When you are considering divorce in Michigan, one of the first and most important steps you will need to take is hiring a divorce lawyer. Finding a divorce lawyer can feel like a daunting process, but it does not need to be so difficult. As long as you plan ahead for your divorce consultation, you can find an advocate who has experience handling cases similar to your own and who has experience navigating the complexities of Michigan divorce law. The following are three important things to know as you prepare for your divorce consultation.
You Can Educate Yourself About Divorce Options in Michigan
Before you even meet with an attorney, you can educate yourself about the divorce process. You can learn more about how long the average divorce in Michigan takes, common issues that arise in divorces, and what types of options are available for managing a less contentious divorce.
Plan a List of Questions You Want to Ask During the Consultation
You should be prepared when you meet with a divorce attorney during a consultation, and the first part of being prepared means having a list of questions you want to ask. Not every person will have the same questions for a potential lawyer, and it is important to ask the questions that are important to you and that are tailored to your specific situation. Some questions you may want to consider asking include:
- How many divorce cases have you handled?
- Were any of the fact patterns of those cases similar to mine?
- How do you tailor strategies in a divorce case to the particular needs of each client?
- How much will my divorce cost?
- How long do you expect my divorce might take?
- Do you have previous clients who have provided testimonials?
- Would you be willing to put me in touch with previous clients who were satisfied with their divorce outcomes?
- Can I expect to pay/receive spousal support or alimony?
- What do you expect a child support obligation to be in my case?
- What are some of the most complex issues concerning property division in my divorce, and how will you handle them?
- Is mediation or collaborative divorce an option in my situation?
- How frequently can I contact you, and can I call, text or email?
- How should I expect to receive communications from you, and how frequently?
You can Meet with More Than One Divorce Lawyer
Sometimes a highly experienced and successful divorce attorney may not seem like the best fit for your particular case. It is important to keep in mind that you can meet with more than one divorce attorney, and you can make a decision about who you want to hire after interviewing the lawyer during your consultation.
Contact a Michigan Divorce Lawyer
Beginning the process of filing for divorce can be intimidating, but an experienced Michigan divorce lawyer can help with your case. Contact the Law Offices of Michael A. Robbins for more information.